Showing 6 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Invalid Soldiers Commission

  • Corporate body

Information from the Encyclopedia of Social Welfare History in North America: "The Military Hospitals Commission (MHC) was established in June 1915 by the federal government to provide hospital accommodation and convalescent homes for returned soldiers and to develop programs for the rehabilitation and reemployment of the disabled." "The sick and disabled who returned to Canada during the war were the responsibility of the Military Hospitals Commission, but by 1918, the government faced an even greater challenge: the demobilization of Canada's army at the end of hostilities. A Department of Soldiers' Civil Re-establishment (DSCR) was established in February 1918 to develop plans for the postwar reintegration of Canadian veterans in society. At the same time, the MHC was renamed the Invalid Soldiers Commission with ongoing responsibility for the rehabilitation and retraining of the disabled, and was absorbed by the new department -- the DSCR."

Saanich resident and returned soldier Charles Frederick Dawson worked for the Department of Soldiers' Civil Re-Establishment as the Chief Industrial Training Inspector.

Memorial Avenue Committee

  • Corporate body

Following the end of World War One in 1918, Canada began erecting statues and cenotaphs to honour the memory of its war dead. Out of this arose proposals for a ‘Road of Remembrance’, or ‘Memorial Avenue’ to serve as a tribute to fallen soldiers. Shelbourne Street became the first such Road of Remembrance in Canada and was formally dedicated on the afternoon of October 2, 1921. The ceremony was held near the entrance to Mount Douglas Park where 7,000 people arrived to hear speeches by BC’s Premier John Oliver and Lieutenant Governor Walter Nichol who said: “he who plants a tree plants a hope”. The original intention was that Shelbourne Street should include one tree for every British Columbian who fell in the war. Some 600 trees were planted but that number would prove insufficient as ten times as many men and women from British Columbia died in the Great War. On September 29, 2018, the Memorial Avenue Committee, led by Saanich residents Ray Travers and Mary-Jane Shaw, organized a re-dedication ceremony and commemoration of the 1918 Armistice. The ceremony included a traditional First Nations blessing and speeches by BC’s Lieutenant Governor Janet Austin, MP Murray Rankin, MLA Andrew Weaver, and Saanich Mayor Richard Atwell. In advance of the event, Saanich installed 30 Memorial Avenue sign toppers along Shelbourne Street.

Saanich Lands Department

  • Corporate body

The Lands Division provides real estate and appraisal services to Council and departments; buys and sells property on Saanich’s behalf, manages all leased or rented properties, and negotiates the acquisition of rights-of-way.

Saanich Police Organization of Teens

  • Corporate body
  • 1967-[1977]

During the fall of 1967, a Saanich Police officer assigned to the night shift noted teenagers with "nothing to do" congregating in various locations and often getting into trouble or causing mischief as a result. The concerned member approached personnel assigned to the Department's Traffic Safety and Education Branch, and the three Constables from the branch discussed the issue. It was their feeling that some form of teen club was in order and after receiving support from former Chief W.A. Pearson, the local school board, and the Police Officers' Association, notices were sent to the nine junior and senior secondary schools in the Municipality requesting that two student representatives from each school attend a meeting at the Saanich Police Station to discuss the idea further.

This first meeting was held on January 12, 1968, in the Saanich Police courtroom with 22 young people present. After the police officers briefly outlined the purposes of the club -- to provide youth activity and community service -- the students soon took the lead, electing their own Executive, consisting of a President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and Historian, with the remainder of the representatives forming a Council. The name of the organization, S.P.O.T. (Saanich Police Organization of Teens) was contributed by Cathy Munro, first President of the Club.

The Council continued to meet weekly with its Police sponsors at the Saanich Police Station and planned numerous youth activity and community service programs as well as charitable donations. S.P.O.T.'s activities included a popular monthly dance held in one of the local schools and which drew an average attendance of 500-800 students; and an annual queen contest. In addition to social activities, S.P.O.T. donated money and provided support to local charities and organizations including the United Appeal, Unitarian Service Committee, March of Dimes, B.C. Heart Fund, the Salvation Army, Queen Alexandra Solarium, Santa's Anonymous, and others. Members also visited hospitals and seniors' care facilities. All of S.P.O.T.'s activities were supervised by volunteers from the Saanich Police Department.

Saanich Rotary Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1958-

The Rotary Club of Douglas (Victoria) was established on June 9, 1958. It was the second Rotary Club in Victoria at the time. Oliver Prentice was the first President, serving from 1958-1959. The Club undertook numerous fundraising initiatives to support local groups including the Seven Oaks Treatment Centre and the Sooke Sunshine Camp, both part of the Children's Aid Society of Victoria. Other organizations assisted by the Club included the Canadian Arthritis Society, the St. Joseph Society, the Royal Jubilee Hospital, the Queen Alexandra Solarium, and Meals on Wheels. The Club also sponsored the Cadboro Bay Little League and various scholarships. Fundraising projects and events included fishing derbies, food sales, auctions. In the 1960s, Club members worshipped together once a year at St. Luke's Anglican Church on Cedar Hill Cross Road, and every year the Club held a ball at the Crystal Gardens. In 1961, several Club members attended the 52nd annual convention of Rotary International in Tokyo, Japan. In 1966, Club President George Steele presented a cheque for $10,000 to the G.R. Pearkes Clinic for Handicapped Children. The name of the Club changed to the Rotary Club of Saanich (Saanich Rotary Club) in 1973. The Rotary Club of Saanich is still active (2015); members continue to meet weekly and participate in fundraising and community service projects.