Showing 344 results

Authority record

Aspray, Owen Talbot

  • Person
  • 1880-1948

Owen Talbot Aspray was born in London, England on December 12th, 1880 to parents Thomas Neville and Emily Aspray. He immigrated to Canada in 1900. On November 1, 1910, Aspray married Matilda Collier in Victoria. They had three daughters: Emily Matilda (1911), Annette Ada Violet (1913), and Constance Owena May (1917). The Asprays are listed as living on Tolmie Avenue in the 1911 census. Aspray gave his occupation at this time as a teamster. At Willows Camp on December 11th, 1914, Owen Aspray enlisted in the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles, reg. #107066. He listed previous military experience in the Imperial Yeomanry for a duration of one year and 192 days. The address given for his wife was 10 Sims St, Maywood P.O. Private Aspray landed in France on September 22nd, 1915 and was promoted to Lance Corporal on March 6th, 1916. While serving in Ypres, he “caught a chill in the trenches”. Pain in his back and legs and increasing jaundice sent him to hospital in England. While his condition was initially quite grave, he eventually improved and was sent to a convalescent home in Woodcote Park, Epsom. The diagnosis was Infectious Jaundice (Hepatitis. Aspray returned to active duty on September 18th, 1916. Promotions followed: L. Sergeant on June 13th 1917, and Sergeant by July 14th of the same year. Sergeant Aspray is reported wounded in action twice, on September 15th 1917, and October 27th, 1917 at which time he received injuries to his hands and face. January of 1918 found him assigned to be an “Instructor to Canadian Corps School”. On August 7th, 1918, Aspray was “transferred to England with a view to being granted a commission”. He officially became Lieutenant Owen Talbot Aspray on November 23rd, 1918 and was assigned to the 1st Central Ontario Regiment. Aspray returned to Canada on board the Empress of Britain and received his discharge in Victoria on March 19th, 1919. On March 31st, 1948, Owen Talbot Aspray died at St. Joseph’s Hospital, Victoria. His death registration lists his occupation as “Returned Soldier”. His address was 68 Sims Avenue. He is buried in the Royal Oak Burial Park. Owen Talbot Aspray is commemorated on the Saanich WWI Honour Roll.

Ball, George

After placing an ad in the local newspaper in 1936 looking for a house or land in the Saanich area, George Ball (son of John Thomas Ball) bought 54 Maddock Avenue and built a house, where he lived until 2003. George Ball was an amateur astronomer. He also owned and operated Ball Electric which opened ca. 1946. George Ball built the shop itself at the corner of Burnside and Harriet (1 Burnside Road West), where his children regularly spent time after school. According to his daughter, George built the first television in Victoria.

Ball, John Thomas

John Thomas Ball lived at 3241 Harriet Road in Saanich. In 1944, John Thomas Ball submitted a plan to Saanich showing a suggested layout for the proposed development of Rudd Park, located across the street from his residence. Once the park was established, John Thomas Ball continued to support the Playground Committee by donating time and supplies.

Baran, Walter

Walter Baran (1916-1997) lived at 3945 Carey Road, which was subdivided in 1958. Walter Baran and his brother Alex operated the Tillicum Service Station from 1936 to 1976.

Barnes, Walton E.

According to the 1943 British Columbia directory, Walton E. Barnes was a seaman and lived on Sinclair Road in Cadboro Bay.

Results 11 to 20 of 344