Arthur Stewart came to Saanich from Scotland in the early 1900s. A contractor and mason, he built many houses in the Quadra and Tattersall areas. He worked on the Empress Hotel and Carnegie Library and completed the cenotaph in Vancouver after his brother, also a stonemason, was killed during its construction. He started the Lakehill jitney and bus service which ran from Fort and Douglas to the Pumping Station at 3940 Quadra. Arthur died in 1938.
Showing 347 resultsAuthority record
Charles Gordon Stuart was born in Napier, New Zealand in 1862. He was an engineer who came to Canada in the mid-1890s. In 1905, he married Jane Tetlow (nee Armstrong), a widow with a four-year-old daughter named Neva. He retired with his family to a house in Cadboro Bay in 1912. Charles Gordon Stuart died in Cadboro Bay in 1935, and Jane Stuart died in 1937. They are both buried in Colwood Burial Park. Their daughter, Mrs. Neva Elizabeth Gray, inherited the family home in Cadboro Bay and continued to own it until 1968. She died in 1970. The house at 3927 Cadboro Bay Road, now demolished, was on the Saanich Heritage Register.
Anton Henderson was born in Denmark in 1853 and came to Victoria when he was 26. He married Ellen Orr in 1882 and took a job with the Victoria Transfer Company, which started the Tally-Ho horse-drawn coach service. Anton Henderson’s accomplishments include forming the Victoria Tourist Association, taking advantage of business opportunities during the Klondike gold rush, becoming a city alderman in Victoria, and becoming the Grand Master of the Independent order of Foresters of BC. The Henderson family lived in Victoria until they moved to a farm on Carey Road. Anton Henderson retired ca. 1910, spending the remaining years at his home at 3978 Carey Road. Anton Henderson died in 1950. In 1914, Anton Henderson’s daughter Anna Matilda Henderson married Albert Henry Todd, the son of James and Flora Todd. They had two children, Virginia and June Ellen. Virginia married Norman Arthur Griffin in 1941. June married John Norrington, son of the founder of Norrington’s Bakery in Port Angeles, Washington in 1938.
Marion Isabel Rousay Underwood was born in Prince Rupert, BC on March 23, 1922. Her parents, Mary (nee Baxter) and Thomas Mowat Rousay, were born in Scotland. Her parents met and married after immigrating to Canada after World War I. When her father was killed in 1930, the family moved to Victoria. Marion moved to Saanich in the 1940s and lived in the municipality from then on. Marion attended Tolmie School and Mount View High School in Saanich. During World War II, she began working at the Dockyard in Esquimalt and continued to work there for 27 years. In 1952, she married Saanich resident Ghazi Underwood. The couple purchased 65 acres on West Saanich Road, and over the years, they built a number of houses on the site. Marion lived in their home at 5172 West Saanich Road until her death in . She bequeathed 1.95 hectares of her property to the District of Saanich to be used as a natural park.
Eileen Archer was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan on October 8, 1934 to Arthur and Anna Archer. She grew up at 2957 Orillia Street, where she lived for 72 years (1937-2010) until moving to a care facility. She remained single. In the 1950s, Eileen worked as a clerk/stenographer for E.E. Heath, a Yates Street real estate and insurance firm. In the 1970s and 1980s, she worked as Bishop's secretary and executive administrator at the Catholic Chancery Office. Eileen attended Tillicum Elementary School from 1941-1947; in 2016, framed copies of her photographs were put on display at the school as part of 100th anniversary celebrations. Eileen Archer died on July 8, 2013.
The Bown family owned the North Saanich Hotel near Sidney, and operated the post office on site. Charles Quinton Bown Sr. is listed as the Postmaster from April 12, 1905 to December 18, 1906. The eldest daughter Marian (May) Bown married James Hector Monk, teacher at North Saanich School. The other members of the family later moved back to Manitoba.