Bernard and Mary Beale Goward built their house "Woodlands" on Arbutus Road in 1908. The District of Saanich purchased the house in September of 1973.
Showing 354 resultsAuthority record
John and Edith Gray had four children: Alex, Olive, Harvey, and Jean. The family home was located at 954 Arundel Drive.
Roland Moore Jones and Rose Jones Hobby are the children of James McNab Jones and Frances Moore Jones of Victoria. Rose Jones was born in Victoria on May 11, 1895. Roland Jones was born on February 24, 1889 in Winnipeg. Roland Jones enlisted with the CEF in 1916 and died on October 11, 1917 in France. Rose Jones married William Woods Hobby in Vancouver on March 15, 1928. Rose Jones Hobby died on June 7, 1983 at age 88 in Saanich. Rose and William's daughter, Frances Muriel Hobby, was born on May 28, 1933. From 1974 until her death on November 1, 2011, Frances Muriel Hobby lived at 520 Normandy Road in Saanich, where her parents had also lived in their later years.
The Hughes family lived at 3860 Savannah Avenue.
John Irvine was recruited in Orkney, Scotland in 1850 by the Hudson's Bay Company as a labourer for the Company's operations on Vancouver Island. He and his wife Jessie arrived in Victoria in 1851 aboard the HBC ship Tory. John Irvine worked at Craigflower Farm and later purchased land in the Cedar Hill area of Saanich where the family established a farm, Rose Bank. John and Jessie Irvine had six children: William (1851), Mary Anne (1853-1892), Jessie (1855), Christine (1858), John Irvine Jr. (1862-1948, Long Gun Jack) and Margaret (1865-1955).
Arthur Lambrick immigrated to Victoria in 1911 at the age of 19. In 1914 he married Clara Sedgeman and the couple had five children. In 1924 they bought 10 acres in Gordon Head from Luke Pither. They acquired more land and their dairy herd grew to 75 head. Arthur Lambrick served as a municipal councillor from 1935 to 1938, and Reeve of Saanich 1939-40. In 1965 he sold 44.39 acres of land to the Saanich Municipality which now houses Lambrick Park Secondary School, a park and the Gordon Head Recreation Centre.