Showing 354 results

Authority record

Cochrane, Violet

Violet Cochrane was a long-time resident of the Gorge area.

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation

The Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) was formed in Calgary in 1932 as a political coalition with the goal of economic reforms to improve conditions resulting from the Great Depression. It soon became well established, and CCF clubs were formed across the country including a number in Saanich. The first meeting of Local No. 1 CCF Club in Saanich was held on September 13, 1933 at 3234 Albina Street with Mr. Williamson as Chairman. Meetings were held in members’ homes and occasionally at St. Mark’s hall until the construction of the Douglas CCF Hall (located at 3368 Douglas Street) in 1944. The club registered under the Societies Act in 1950. In 1952 CCF member Frank Snowsell was elected MLA for the constituency of Saanich in the British Columbia general election, a position he held for one year. In 1961 the CCF entered into a formal alliance with the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) to create the New Democratic Party. Following this change, the Douglas CCF Hall Society was renamed the Douglas NDP Hall Society.

Dalziel, R.

Mrs. R. Dalziel attended Craigflower School.

Dean, John

John Dean was an early settler at Mount Newton. Dean donated 32 hectares of land for a park in 1921, followed by four other settlers who contributed adjoining lands. Remnants of their homesteads remain in John Dean Provincial Park.

Deans, James

James and George Deans came to Vancouver Island from Scotland as employees of the Hudson's Bay Company in 1852 on the Norman Morison. They eventually purchased land near Mount Tolmie where they established a farm, Oak Vale. James became fluent in many First Nations dialects and was an authority on First Nations culture. He died in 1905.

District of Saanich

The District of Saanich was incorporated on March 1, 1906. The first meeting of Saanich Council was held on Saturday March 10, 1906. Thomas Brydon served as the Municipality's first Reeve. In 1908, Saanich was divided into six (and later seven) administrative wards. Each ward had a representative on council, and the Reeve was elected at large. The ward system was abolished in 1949. Ward 6 seceded from the District of Saanich in 1950 to form the District of Central Saanich. The District of Saanich celebrated its centennial in 2006.

Results 51 to 60 of 354