Showing 344 resultsAuthority record
See Burnside Lawn Bowling Club.
The Burnside Lawn Bowling Club was organized in 1922 and incorporated on 24 December 1923. The Club was formed to “promote, foster and safeguard the Game of Lawn Bowling, and to encourage and maintain Friendship amongst the Members”. In 1923 club member George Vallance donated land on Hampton Road for a green and clubhouse. The clubhouse, known as Hampton Hall, was completed in 1927. Electric lights were added in 1930 to allow night time use of the green. The Burnside Lawn Bowling Club continues to operate from the site.
The Cameron family lived in the Fairfield area of Victoria. Charles Napier Cameron married Louise Abigail Gosnell on December 25, 1882 in Victoria. They had 2 daughters, Gladys Maud and Abigail "Abby" Louise. Louise Abigail died giving birth to Abby in 1885. Charles Cameron married Eleanor Penelope Atwood on January 7, 1888. Charles and Eleanor had 6 children together: Walter Clifton, Claribel Lillian, Clarence George, Olivia Grace, Phyllis Jean, and Robert "Bob" Dixi. Gladys Maud Cameron, a niece of Agnes Deans Cameron, married John Christian in 1919. John Christian was born in Nova Scotia and came to Victoria about 1895. He originally worked as a sealer and began work for the Consolidated Whaling Corporation as a whaler ca. 1911. John Christian and Gladys Maud Cameron had 3 children: Phyllis Louise, Charles Donald and Creta Cameron Christian.