Showing 344 resultsAuthority record
- Corporate body
Reginald Chave was born in Woodstock, Ontario. In 1912, he married Bernice Scowcroft, a music teacher whose family lived at 738 Discovery St. in Victoria. Reginald and his father, William J. Chave, were grocers. From about 1915 to the early 1920s they had a grocery store, Wm. J. Chave & Son, at the corner of Douglas Street and Boleskine Road. Reginald and Bernice Chave lived nearby in a house on Saanich Road. They had two children, Cyril and Muriel. Bernice Chave died in Vancouver in 1948. Reginald died in Vancouver in 1957. Their daughter Muriel married William Townsend in 194- and had 3 children: Miriam Bowles (nee Townsend), Julie, and Devon.
Edmund and Violet (nee Mills) Christopher built 1950 Waterloo Road ca. 1949.
The Citizens’ Task Force on Recycling was formed on April 19, 1979 to research and formulate a recycling program for presentation to Saanich Council. The recycling proposal was presented on February 6, 1980. The Citizens’ Task Force on Recycling was chaired by Alderman Sturrock.
The climatological station was officially named Victoria-Tillicum, located at Tillicum Road and the Trans-Canada Highway.
The Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) was formed in Calgary in 1932 as a political coalition with the goal of economic reforms to improve conditions resulting from the Great Depression. It soon became well established, and CCF clubs were formed across the country including a number in Saanich. The first meeting of Local No. 1 CCF Club in Saanich was held on September 13, 1933 at 3234 Albina Street with Mr. Williamson as Chairman. Meetings were held in members’ homes and occasionally at St. Mark’s hall until the construction of the Douglas CCF Hall (located at 3368 Douglas Street) in 1944. The club registered under the Societies Act in 1950. In 1952 CCF member Frank Snowsell was elected MLA for the constituency of Saanich in the British Columbia general election, a position he held for one year. In 1961 the CCF entered into a formal alliance with the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) to create the New Democratic Party. Following this change, the Douglas CCF Hall Society was renamed the Douglas NDP Hall Society.
The Locke family leased and farmed the Rithet property, Broadmead Farm, during the 1930s. Pat Coates was a daughter of the Locke family.
Violet Cochrane was a long-time resident of the Gorge area.