J.B. Bradstock was a former employee of the Christmas Hill rock crushing plant.
Mostrando 344 resultadosRegistro de autoridad
Lawrence Allan Roper was a young boy at the time of the Cadboro Beach Hotel fire in 1931. After warning people of the danger, he moved to a nearby hill where he witnessed the fire and the attempts at salvaging valuables by throwing them out of the windows.
In 1896, the Gordon Head Mutual Improvement Society was founded, and two years later a community hall was built to house the group. The Society was the centre of community life for many years, but was disbanded in 1929. In 1946 the Society was revived, and at that time purchased the community hall building and land from Arthur Lambrick. In 1967, the organization celebrated its 70th anniversary.
Arthur James Richard Ash was born in 1906 in Brandon, Manitoba. He spent most of his life in Ottawa before moving to Saanich in 1946. Arthur Ash served as an army officer in World War II, and was stationed on the west coast from 1942 to 1943. He married Vera Maria Carnie at Christ Church Cathedral in Victoria in 1943. They had two daughters, Cairine Jennifer and Christine Marie. Arthur Ash served as a BC MLA from 1948 to 1952. In 1956 he was elected Reeve of Saanich and was relected the following year. Arthur Ash resigned from office in 1958 and moved to Reno, Nevada for business, returning to Saanich in 1973. Arthur Ash died on January 15, 1988 at the age of 81.
Peter Scott moved to Saanich from Saskatchewan in the early 1950s and purchased a house at 811 Jasmine Avenue in the Garden City neighbourhood. He lived there with his family from approximately 1953 to 1963. Peter Scott later worked as a bus driver for Greyhound on the Butchart Gardens route.
John Durrance Sr. was an early landowner in Saanich. In 1860, he settled on 400 acres in the Lake District on a property he called Spring Valley Farm. He married Royal Oak area pioneer Jane Dyke after the deaths of her first two husbands, Richard Cheeseman and James Bailey.
Lily Adams born was born in September 1894 and died in September 1975 at the age of 81. She attended Royal Oak School.
Saanich Archives was established in 1978 through the efforts of Deputy Municipal Clerk Jo-Anne Morrison.
Josiah Bull was born in 1896 at Royal Oak where his father owned 40 acres of farm land. He attended Royal Oak and old North Dairy Schools. He was married to Gladys in 1926 and they had four children. He joined the Saanich Police force on March 1, 1930. In 1938 Josiah Bull was made Police Chief. He retired in 1957, and died in 1965.