Showing 348 results

Authority record

Aspray, Owen Talbot

  • Person
  • 1880-1948

Owen Talbot Aspray was born in London, England on December 12th, 1880 to parents Thomas Neville and Emily Aspray. He immigrated to Canada in 1900. In the Victoria City Directory 1910-11, Aspray is listed as a fireman living at the No. 5 Fire Hall on Douglas Street. In 1910, Aspray married Matilda Collier in Victoria. They had three daughters: Emily Matilda (1911), Annette Ada Violet (1913), and Constance Owena May (1917). According to the 1911 census, the Asprays were living on Tolmie Avenue in the 1911 census and Owen worked as a teamster. At Willows Camp on December 11th, 1914, Owen Aspray enlisted in the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles. His wife was then living at 10 Sims St, Maywood P.O. He officially became Lieutenant Owen Talbot Aspray in November of 1918. Aspray returned to Canada In March of 1919. He died in 1948 and is buried in the Royal Oak Burial Park. Owen Talbot Aspray is commemorated on the Saanich WWI Honour Roll.

Ball, George

After placing an ad in the local newspaper in 1936 looking for a house or land in the Saanich area, George Ball (son of John Thomas Ball) bought 54 Maddock Avenue and built a house, where he lived until 2003. George Ball was an amateur astronomer. He also owned and operated Ball Electric which opened ca. 1946. George Ball built the shop itself at the corner of Burnside and Harriet (1 Burnside Road West), where his children regularly spent time after school. According to his daughter, George built the first television in Victoria.

Ball, John Thomas

John Thomas Ball lived at 3241 Harriet Road in Saanich. In 1944, John Thomas Ball submitted a plan to Saanich showing a suggested layout for the proposed development of Rudd Park, located across the street from his residence. Once the park was established, John Thomas Ball continued to support the Playground Committee by donating time and supplies.

Baran, Walter

Walter Baran (1916-1997) lived at 3945 Carey Road, which was subdivided in 1958. Walter Baran and his brother Alex operated the Tillicum Service Station from 1936 to 1976.

Barnes, Walton E.

According to the 1943 British Columbia directory, Walton E. Barnes was a seaman and lived on Sinclair Road in Cadboro Bay.

Barr, Jennifer Nell

Jennifer Nell Barr is the author of Saanich Heritage Structures: An Inventory, published by The Corporation of the District of Saanich, 1991. She is the co-author of Saanich Heritage Structures, published by The Corporation of the District of Saanich, 2008.

Results 11 to 20 of 348