Showing 354 resultsAuthority record
John and Florence Vantreight emigrated from Dublin to Saanich in 1884 and settled in the northeast corner of Gordon Head. When John died in 1896, the eldest son Geoffrey took on the responsibility for the family and farm. Geoffrey Vantreight and his brothers Sydney and Edgar grew strawberries. In 1914 Geoffrey Vantreight married Maud Bartholomew. Geoffrey Vantreight obtained daffodil bulbs from W.T. Edwards in ca. 1915, the beginning of the crop for which the Vantreight family would become known.
The University of Victoria was established on 1 July 1963.
Marion Isabel Rousay Underwood was born in Prince Rupert, BC on March 23, 1922. Her parents, Mary (nee Baxter) and Thomas Mowat Rousay, were born in Scotland. Her parents met and married after immigrating to Canada after World War I. When her father was killed in 1930, the family moved to Victoria. Marion moved to Saanich in the 1940s and lived in the municipality from then on. Marion attended Tolmie School and Mount View High School in Saanich. During World War II, she began working at the Dockyard in Esquimalt and continued to work there for 27 years. In 1952, she married Saanich resident Ghazi Underwood. The couple purchased 65 acres on West Saanich Road, and over the years, they built a number of houses on the site. Marion lived in their home at 5172 West Saanich Road until her death in . She bequeathed 1.95 hectares of her property to the District of Saanich to be used as a natural park.
Ernest Brownlow Underwood was born on March 1, 1873 in St. Paul's, Deptford, London, to George G. Underwood and Lucy Anne Frazer. In 1888 at the age of 15, he joined the Coldstream Guards as a drummer boy and would remain in military service throughout the British Empire, eventually reaching the rank of Major. E.B. Underwood married Alice May Hogben on February 21, 1899 during a short visit home to England. They emigrated to Toronto ca. 1909 and in 1910 moved to Winnipeg. There he joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force and went on to serve overseas during the First World War. E.B. Underwood, who knew George Pearkes, came to Victoria in 1922 after the war and was posted in Esquimalt. He retired from military service in 1932. He and his wife then lived at 400 Gorge Road W (now 2840 Gorge View Drive), then for a time at 5172 West Saanich Road, and later in Victoria. They had five sons: Arthur Victor George, Leslie Harold Patrick, Ernest Albert, Ghazi Kenal, and Reginald Cyril (died in 1937 when he drowned while working at the Cameron Lumber Company wharf); and three daughters: Lillian Songhurst, Muriel Burch, and Mena Miller. E.B. Underwood's sons Leslie (Buster), Ghazi, and Ernest (Ernie) all saw action in the Second World War. Leslie and Ernie volunteered for service in 1939 in Victoria. They were attached to the 3rd LAA Battery, RCA. They left for England in 1941 and were in the gun crew that was recognized as the first Canadian crew to destroy a German bomber (Junkers 88) during the Battle of Britain. Both took part in the raid at Dieppe. Leslie returned, but Ernie was wounded on the beach and was a Prisoner of War for the duration, writing a series of letters home from the P.O.W. camp. Ghazi joined the Army in 1943 at age 18 and saw action in Italy and Europe. Leslie saw action at D-Day and in Northern Europe until the end of the war. With the end of the war, the three brothers returned home to Victoria. Leslie Harold Patrick Underwood and wife Emily Agnes (nee Burke) (married on September 28, 1934) lived at 3060 Wascana Avenue and 3097 Millgrove Avenue in Saanich and later 5424 Fowler Road (now 776 Menawood Place) in Cordova Bay. They had two children, Leslie Garnet and Mena Patricia (after whom the street was named).