Showing 347 results

Authority record

Bown family

  • Family

The Bown family owned the North Saanich Hotel near Sidney, and operated the post office on site. Charles Quinton Bown Sr. is listed as the Postmaster from April 12, 1905 to December 18, 1906. The eldest daughter Marian (May) Bown married James Hector Monk, teacher at North Saanich School. The other members of the family later moved back to Manitoba.

Archer, Eileen

  • 1934-2013

Eileen Archer was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan on October 8, 1934 to Arthur and Anna Archer. She grew up at 2957 Orillia Street, where she lived for 72 years (1937-2010) until moving to a care facility. She remained single. In the 1950s, Eileen worked as a clerk/stenographer for E.E. Heath, a Yates Street real estate and insurance firm. In the 1970s and 1980s, she worked as Bishop's secretary and executive administrator at the Catholic Chancery Office. Eileen attended Tillicum Elementary School from 1941-1947; in 2016, framed copies of her photographs were put on display at the school as part of 100th anniversary celebrations. Eileen Archer died on July 8, 2013.

Underwood, Marion Isabel Rousay

  • Person
  • 1922-2018

Marion Isabel Rousay Underwood was born in Prince Rupert, BC on March 23, 1922. Her parents, Mary (nee Baxter) and Thomas Mowat Rousay, were born in Scotland. Her parents met and married after immigrating to Canada after World War I. When her father was killed in 1930, the family moved to Victoria. Marion moved to Saanich in the 1940s and lived in the municipality from then on. Marion attended Tolmie School and Mount View High School in Saanich. During World War II, she began working at the Dockyard in Esquimalt and continued to work there for 27 years. In 1952, she married Saanich resident Ghazi Underwood. The couple purchased 65 acres on West Saanich Road, and over the years, they built a number of houses on the site. Marion lived in their home at 5172 West Saanich Road until her death in [2018]. She bequeathed 1.95 hectares of her property to the District of Saanich to be used as a natural park.

Henderson family

  • Family

Anton Henderson was born in Denmark in 1853 and came to Victoria when he was 26. He married Ellen Orr in 1882 and took a job with the Victoria Transfer Company, which started the Tally-Ho horse-drawn coach service. Anton Henderson’s accomplishments include forming the Victoria Tourist Association, taking advantage of business opportunities during the Klondike gold rush, becoming a city alderman in Victoria, and becoming the Grand Master of the Independent order of Foresters of BC. The Henderson family lived in Victoria until they moved to a farm on Carey Road. Anton Henderson retired ca. 1910, spending the remaining years at his home at 3978 Carey Road. Anton Henderson died in 1950. In 1914, Anton Henderson’s daughter Anna Matilda Henderson married Albert Henry Todd, the son of James and Flora Todd. They had two children, Virginia and June Ellen. Virginia married Norman Arthur Griffin in 1941. June married John Norrington, son of the founder of Norrington’s Bakery in Port Angeles, Washington in 1938.

Stuart, Charles Gordon

  • Person
  • 1862-1935

Charles Gordon Stuart was born in Napier, New Zealand in 1862. He was an engineer who came to Canada in the mid-1890s. In 1905, he married Jane Tetlow (nee Armstrong), a widow with a four-year-old daughter named Neva. He retired with his family to a house in Cadboro Bay in 1912. Charles Gordon Stuart died in Cadboro Bay in 1935, and Jane Stuart died in 1937. They are both buried in Colwood Burial Park. Their daughter, Mrs. Neva Elizabeth Gray, inherited the family home in Cadboro Bay and continued to own it until 1968. She died in 1970. The house at 3927 Cadboro Bay Road, now demolished, was on the Saanich Heritage Register.

Stewart, Arthur

Arthur Stewart came to Saanich from Scotland in the early 1900s. A contractor and mason, he built many houses in the Quadra and Tattersall areas. He worked on the Empress Hotel and Carnegie Library and completed the cenotaph in Vancouver after his brother, also a stonemason, was killed during its construction. He started the Lakehill jitney and bus service which ran from Fort and Douglas to the Pumping Station at 3940 Quadra. Arthur died in 1938.

Williamson family

  • Family

William J. Williamson and his wife Wilhelmina (nee Clarke) came to Gordon Head in 1897, and built a house on Tyndall Avenue. W.J. Williamson operated Gordon Head’s first grocery store from 1909 to 1918. He also contracted the first rural mail route in the neighbourhood which in 1913 was taken over by his eldest son Jack. Jack Williamson served overseas during WW1. When he returned, he took over the Gordon Head bus service in 1921 and ran the business until it was bought by the Matson Coach Lines Company in the late 1920s. In addition to operating Gordon Head’s first grocery store and mail route, in 1913 the Williamson home was also the site of Gordon Head’s first telephone office, with 1 switchboard and ten lines. In 1924, a new telephone office opened with at the corner of Feltham Road and Tyndall Avenue with 97 telephones. The Williamsons’ daughters, Alixena “Bea” and Agnes, were both employed at the new telephone office.

Aspray, Owen Talbot

  • Person
  • 1880-1948

Owen Talbot Aspray was born in London, England on December 12th, 1880 to parents Thomas Neville and Emily Aspray. He immigrated to Canada in 1900. In the Victoria City Directory 1910-11, Aspray is listed as a fireman living at the No. 5 Fire Hall on Douglas Street. In 1910, Aspray married Matilda Collier in Victoria. They had three daughters: Emily Matilda (1911), Annette Ada Violet (1913), and Constance Owena May (1917). According to the 1911 census, the Asprays were living on Tolmie Avenue in the 1911 census and Owen worked as a teamster. At Willows Camp on December 11th, 1914, Owen Aspray enlisted in the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles. His wife was then living at 10 Sims St, Maywood P.O. He officially became Lieutenant Owen Talbot Aspray in November of 1918. Aspray returned to Canada In March of 1919. He died in 1948 and is buried in the Royal Oak Burial Park. Owen Talbot Aspray is commemorated on the Saanich WWI Honour Roll.

Lavender family

The Lavender Ridge housing development is located on 620 Judah St. The property was owned by Walter Lavender (1879-1955) & Sarah Mepham Lavender (1889-1976), and later by their son Leslie John Lavender and his wife Bernice. Walter and Sarah Lavender immigrated in 1912. They had 2 sons. The elder died in 1914 of scarlet fever and chicken pox (death certificate - BC Archives) at age 7. The younger son Leslie Lavender (d. 1976) helped on the property all his life. Leslie sold part of his property to the government, where the postal station was built, but died soon after the sale. After Bernice Lavender died, the property was sold, the original house was demolished and the Lavender Estate Housing Project was built.

Results 1 to 10 of 347