- 1920-195- (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Bill Ruby's grandfather was James Richards, an early settler in Saanich. Mr. Richards was born in Cornwall, England and emigrated to Central City, Colorado with his wife. In 1890, after the death of one of their three children, they moved to Springridge in the Victoria area. They later bought 75 acres where University Heights is now (2007). They had three more boys, one being William Richards (Bill Ruby's uncle) who purchased property on Ruby Road and started a dairy farm. Bill Ruby's mother and father started a dairy farm in the 1930's on Kenmore and Shelbourne Street. Mr. Ruby Sr. delivered milk to the Gordon Head and Cedar Hill districts. Later he sold milk to Shepherds Dairy. Bill Ruby Jr. attended Cedar Hill School and later built greenhouses where he grew tomatoes and flowers.
Donated to Saanich Archives in 1981.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of photographs of the Ruby family, greenhouses and farm, Cedar Hill School, and the Gordon Head area.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
No further accruals are expected.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Accession number: 1981-005