- 1922-1990 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
50 cm of textual records, 1 plan, 100 photographs
Name of creator
The Burnside Lawn Bowling Club was organized in 1922 and incorporated on 24 December 1923. The Club was formed to “promote, foster and safeguard the Game of Lawn Bowling, and to encourage and maintain Friendship amongst the Members”. In 1923 club member George Vallance donated land on Hampton Road for a green and clubhouse. The clubhouse, known as Hampton Hall, was completed in 1927. Electric lights were added in 1930 to allow night time use of the green. The Burnside Lawn Bowling Club continues to operate from the site.
The records of the Burnside Lawn Bowling Club 1922-1990 were donated to Saanich Archives by the club in February 2015. The Burnside Lawn Bowling Club, still active, has retained its records from 1991 forward. Further accruals are expected.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the Burnside Lawn Bowling Club and Burnside Ladies Lawn Bowling Club, 1922-1990, including constitution, by-laws, minutes, correspondence, financial records, membership lists, records of competitions, photographs, plans and news clippings. The fonds includes minutes, accounts and rosters of the Greater Victoria District Lawn Bowling Association (established 1931).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Further accruals are expected.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
File list available.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Accession number: 2015-003
Place access points
Name access points
- Burnside Ladies Lawn Bowling Club (Subject)
- Greater Victoria District Lawn Bowling Association (Subject)