Co-operative Commonwealth Federation

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Co-operative Commonwealth Federation

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) was formed in Calgary in 1932 as a political coalition with the goal of economic reforms to improve conditions resulting from the Great Depression. It soon became well established, and CCF clubs were formed across the country including a number in Saanich. The first meeting of Local No. 1 CCF Club in Saanich was held on September 13, 1933 at 3234 Albina Street with Mr. Williamson as Chairman. Meetings were held in members’ homes and occasionally at St. Mark’s hall until the construction of the Douglas CCF Hall (located at 3368 Douglas Street) in 1944. The club registered under the Societies Act in 1950. In 1952 CCF member Frank Snowsell was elected MLA for the constituency of Saanich in the British Columbia general election, a position he held for one year. In 1961 the CCF entered into a formal alliance with the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) to create the New Democratic Party. Following this change, the Douglas CCF Hall Society was renamed the Douglas NDP Hall Society.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC