- 1955-1966 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
2 cm of textual records, ephemera and news clippings
Name of creator
The Elk Lake Ratepayers Association (ELRA) was incorporated under the Societies Act in 1956. Its purpose is to provide “a platform for the discussion of matters of concern to the residents and ratepayers of the area” and ensure that “the amenities of the area, other than private properties, will be developed for the benefit of the ratepayers and residents in accordance with their expressed opinions, instead of the financial gain for promoters from outside the area.” The first Directors of the Association were Fred P. Jeune, W.A. Porter, R.H. Wootten, Ian H. Campbell and David H. Carey. The organization has also been known as The Elk Lake & Saanich Ratepayers Association.
Donated in 2010 by Kathryn Porter, whose husband W. Alexander Porter was an ELRA secretary.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records relating to the activities of the Elk Lake Ratepayers Association, and includes constitution, bylaws, membership lists and forms, minutes, meeting notices, financial statements and balance sheets, correspondence, briefs and reports, ephemera, news clippings, and documents relating to the referendum on amalgamation of Saanich and Victoria, 1962. Fonds is arranged into 8 series: Constitution & Bylaws, Membership Lists, Minutes & Meeting Notices, Financial Statements, Correspondence, Briefs & Reports, Ephemera, and News Clippings.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
No further accruals are expected.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Series descriptions available.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Accession number: 2010-066