Fred Quick fonds
- [191-] (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Fred and William Quick were born in New Zealand, immigrating to Vancouver Island in 1889. They were involved in the dairy business and owned the first purebred herd of Jersey cows. They bought 150 acres at West Saanich and Wilkinson Roads, and farmed for 35 years. Frederick became very involved in the public sector, becoming Reeve of Saanich in 1908, 1909 and 1913. Both brothers were instrumental in building the Municipal Hall at 4512 West Saanich Road. In 1909, William married Esther Carmichael, Esther was a founding member of the Royal Oak Women's Institute. They were involved in building the Royal Oak Community Hall. Quick's Bottom was once part of the Quick farmland that is now a 33 acre wildlife sanctuary purchased by the Saanich municipality in 1969.
Received by Saanich Archives ca.1980.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of early photographs of Saanich, especially the Royal Oak area, including Reeve Quick at the Royal Oak Inn, the Quick farmhouse, and the second Saanich Municipal Hall under construction in 1911.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
No further accruals are expected.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Accession number: 1980-007