Lake Hill Women’s Institute

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Lake Hill Women’s Institute

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Lake Hill Women’s Institute (LHWI) was formed in September 1909. It is part of the larger organization of Women’s Institutes first initiated by Adelaide Hoodless in Ontario in 1897 as a means of educating women in household sciences. The first meeting of the LKWI was held in an apple packing shed on Quadra Street and was led by Laura Rose. Meetings were held in members’ homes and later a room in North Dairy School on Quadra until funds were raised for a hall. The new building was completed in 1922. The group held classes in cooking, ceramics, leather work, glove making, millinery and weaving. Events included children’s Halloween parties which raised money for the Queen Alexandra Solarium.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC