Lake Hill Women’s Institute fonds
- 1926-1991 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
22 cm of textual records, 2 scrapbooks, 2 albums of photographs
Name of creator
The Lake Hill Women’s Institute (LHWI) was formed in September 1909. It is part of the larger organization of Women’s Institutes first initiated by Adelaide Hoodless in Ontario in 1897 as a means of educating women in household sciences. The first meeting of the LKWI was held in an apple packing shed on Quadra Street and was led by Laura Rose. Meetings were held in members’ homes and later a room in North Dairy School on Quadra until funds were raised for a hall. The new building was completed in 1922. The group held classes in cooking, ceramics, leather work, glove making, millinery and weaving. Events included children’s Halloween parties which raised money for the Queen Alexandra Solarium.
Donated to Saanich Archives in 1999 by Mrs. Bessie Light.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records relating to the Lake Hill Women’s Institute’s activities from 1926 to 1991. Fonds includes administrative records, correspondence, personal writings, certificates, scrapbooks, news clippings, publications, ephemera, photographs and artifacts. The fonds is arranged into 11 series: Administrative Records, Correspondence, Reports, Personal Writings, Certificates, Scrapbooks, News Clippings, Publications, Ephemera, Photographs, and Artifacts.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
No further accruals are expected.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Series descriptions available.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Accession number: 2005-008