Item 2019-017-230 - "Little workers for the Red Cross"

Open original Digital object

Identity area

Reference code

PR-296-2019-017-230

Title

"Little workers for the Red Cross"

Date(s)

  • [191-] (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

Photograph, B and W, 9 x 13.5 cm.

Context area

Name of creator

Repository

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Donated in 2019.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Photographer: Hickie, Wimbledon.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

No restrictions on access.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Postcard format. Missing bottom right corner.

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Note

"Newfoundland" printed on cart.

Note

Handwritten on verso: From Uncle John & Aunt Clara [To] wish Claude & Ethel [Lytton] a Happy Easter. Lady Davidson's little daughters they collected for the Red Cross on Trafalgar day.

Note

From HistoricPlaces.ca, Women's Patriotic Association War Memorial Municipal Heritage Site: "The War Memorial has further historical value due to its association with Women’s Patriotic Association (WPA) in Newfoundland. In 1914, Lady Margaret Davidson, wife of the then governor of Newfoundland, established the WPA to help those fighting overseas and their families left behind. The WPA organized women’s groups across the Dominion of Newfoundland to handcraft socks, mittens, scarves, clothing and bandages along with preparing medical supplies and other comforts for troops. The WPA “Visiting Committee” offered support to family members at home. A Naval and Military Convalescent Hospital was also established by the WPA in St. John’s. Shortly after it was founded, over 200 WPA branches were active, with a total membership of 15 000 women. At the end of World War I, the WPA shifted its focus to child welfare, establishing milk distribution centres and a children’s hospital. The WPA was dissolved in 1921 but was reestablished in 1939, at the onset of World War II, with over 400 branches. In 1948, the WPA was disbanded once again and its funds were turned over to the Red Cross.

Note

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

HistoricPlaces.ca

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places