Fonds PR-151 - Playfair Park Mothers Group fonds

Playfair Park barbeque, ca. 1950 Playfair Park, closing day celebration, children in costume, 1948 Ladies having tea at Reynolds Park, playground closing day Closing day, Reynolds Park playground programme Wayne Prentice in costume at closing day event, Reynolds Park playground programme Children in costume, playground programme closing day, Reynolds Park Children in costume, playground programme closing day, Reynolds Park Children in costume, Reynolds Park summer playground programme Children in costume, Reynolds Park summer playground programme Children in costume, Reynolds Park summer playground programme

Identity area

Reference code

PR-151

Title

Playfair Park Mothers Group fonds

Date(s)

  • 1948-1974 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

10 cm textual records, photographs and ephemera

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Playfair Park Mothers Group was established in 1948 to organize supervised children’s summer programs for neighbourhood children age 4 to 16. As with other parks in Saanich at the time, Playfair Park was run by a neighbourhood committee which received a municipal grant of $200 a year to be spent on permanent improvements. Saanich provided material, and the labour for improvements was carried out by volunteers. Volunteers of men cleared land to form a grassy area. Pavement was poured for a children’s area and water and electricity were installed. Neighbourhood mothers raised funds for sports equipment and for a park assistant to run a 5-6 week program during July and August each year. The program included sports, pantomimes, costume competitions, crafts, dance instruction, swimming lessons at the Crystal Gardens, field trips, barbeques and special celebrations. At the opening day in 1949 over 125 children were present. In 1949 Fran Dawson was President of Playfair Park Mothers Group and Sylvia McKay was Vice President. In 1951 the neighbourhood group involved in Playfair Park also became involved in a similar project at nearby Reynolds Park. That year there were 14 parks in Saanich offering supervised summer programs run by volunteer groups: Playfair Park; Strawberry Vale; Marigold playground located at Iris Park; Qu’Appelle; Oak Street; Rosedale; Peter Hill playground at Braefoot Estate; Tolmie; Rudd Park; Rainbow; and newly opened Reynolds, Majestic, Hampton, and Maynard parks.

Repository

Archival history

Transferred from the Saanich Parks and Recreation Department.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records relating to the activities of the Playfair Park Mothers Group at Playfair Park from 1948 to 1974 and includes administrative records, financial records, correspondence, and scrapbooks. Fonds is arranged into 5 series: Administrative Records, Financial Records, Correspondence, Scrapbooks, and Photographs. Fonds includes a scrapbook relating to Reynolds Park (1951-1956).

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

No restrictions on access.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Series descriptions available.

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Note

Accession number: 2005-006, 1990-006

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places