R.G. Rice fonds
- 1914-1919 predominant (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Richard Grenville Rice was born on August 10, 1888 in Derby, England to George Rice and Constance Hardwick. He was already married to wife Gladys E. Evans when he enlisted at age 28 in the Engineer Training Depot of the C.E.F. at Victoria on December 4, 1916. On his Attestation Papers he listed his occupation as draughtsman, living at 2559 Vancouver Street in Victoria. Rice served in France with the 1st Bn. C.E. and was discharged on April 16, 1919. He was a draftsman for the E&N Railway and then for the BC Department of Public Works. He was co-architect (with Karl Spurgin) of the Saanich War Memorial Health Centre (4353 West Saanich Road) built in 1920 and was the artist of the Saanich WWI Honour Roll. After the war, Rice lived with his wife and children Hilda and Richard H. at 1325 Finlayson Street in Victoria until moving to Seattle ca. 1923 in order to pursue architectural work. Richard Grenville Rice died on June 7, 1941 in Seattle.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Donated in 2016 by the granddaughter of R.G. Rice.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of personal items relating to Canadian WWI veteran Richard Grenville Rice and includes photographs, certificates, pay book, books, letter, service medals, cigarette case, and a complete Canadian WWI uniform.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
No restrictions including exhibit or publication.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Uniform includes jacket, cap, trousers, puttees, and belts. Cap arrived flattened and required conservation work.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Accession number: 2016-031.
Uniform and a selection of artifacts were displayed in an exhibit at Saanich Municipal Hall in January 2017.