- 1943-1989 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
6.3 m of textual records
Name of creator
The District of Saanich was incorporated on March 1, 1906. The first meeting of Saanich Council was held on Saturday March 10, 1906. Thomas Brydon served as the Municipality's first Reeve. In 1908, Saanich was divided into six (and later seven) administrative wards. Each ward had a representative on council, and the Reeve was elected at large. The ward system was abolished in 1949. Ward 6 seceded from the District of Saanich in 1950 to form the District of Central Saanich. The District of Saanich celebrated its centennial in 2006.
Transferred to Saanich Archives in January 1993 and 2006.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
These records were created by the Saanich Business Licence Department, and consist of applications to carry on trade or business, correspondence and forms relating to the issuance of licences, business license cards, and correspondence and documents relating to the administration of the Business Licence Department.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Further accruals are expected.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Some restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Finding aid available for a portion of the records.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Accession number: 2017-010.