Saanich Centennial fonds
- 2005-2006 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
16 photographs (col.). – 1 album. –  cm textual records including minutes and book drafts. – ephemera. – video recordings. – artifacts including pins, a banner and a bronze cast of the Saanich coat-of-arms
Name of creator
The District of Saanich was incorporated on March 1, 1906. The first meeting of Saanich Council was held on Saturday March 10, 1906. Thomas Brydon served as the Municipality's first Reeve. In 1908, Saanich was divided into six (and later seven) administrative wards. Each ward had a representative on council, and the Reeve was elected at large. The ward system was abolished in 1949. Ward 6 seceded from the District of Saanich in 1950 to form the District of Central Saanich. The District of Saanich celebrated its centennial in 2006.
Transferred to Saanich Archives in multiple accessions beginning in 2006.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of photographs and other records relating to projects and events for the District of Saanich centennial in 2006 including: Saanich Centennial Book "100 years 100 stories”; Centennial opening event at the municipal hall in March; Pioneer Tea at Commonwealth Place on May 24; Centennial Challenge; and closing event at UVIC stadium August 26. Fonds includes material from planning committees, the Saanich Centennial Events Committee and the Saanich Centennial Book Committee.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
No further accruals are expected.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Accession number: 2006-012, 2006-013, 2006-016, 2006-022, 2007-114, 2008-015, 2009-064, 2013-036