- 1907-1946 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
18 cm textual records
Name of creator
The District of Saanich was incorporated on March 1, 1906. The first meeting of Saanich Council was held on Saturday March 10, 1906. Thomas Brydon served as the Municipality's first Reeve. In 1908, Saanich was divided into six (and later seven) administrative wards. Each ward had a representative on council, and the Reeve was elected at large. The ward system was abolished in 1949. Ward 6 seceded from the District of Saanich in 1950 to form the District of Central Saanich. The District of Saanich celebrated its centennial in 2006.
Transferred to Saanich Archives in 2003.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of contracts and documents relating to the construction of roads, purchase of lands, oaths, regulations governing soldiers’ home sites, and expropriation notices. Includes contracts for Shelbourne Street, Saanich Road, East Saanich Road, Burnside Road, Douglas Street, Carey Road, Gorge Road, North Quadra Street, and Lake Road and the purchase of land from James Pim in 1907, site of the first municipal hall.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
No further accruals are expected.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Finding aid available.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Accession number: 2007-087