Saanich Heritage Structures Inventory Collection
- 1987-2008 predominant (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1393 photographs, 3.5 m textual material
Name of creator
The District of Saanich was incorporated on March 1, 1906. The first meeting of Saanich Council was held on Saturday March 10, 1906. Thomas Brydon served as the Municipality's first Reeve. In 1908, Saanich was divided into six (and later seven) administrative wards. Each ward had a representative on council, and the Reeve was elected at large. The ward system was abolished in 1949. Ward 6 seceded from the District of Saanich in 1950 to form the District of Central Saanich. The District of Saanich celebrated its centennial in 2006.
Compiled by Jennifer Barr, and later Donald Luxton & Associates, in the course of research for the Saanich Heritage Structures Inventory books published in 1991 and 2008. The material was deposited at Saanich Archives after project completion.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Collection consists of 1393 photographs, negatives and slides of heritage structures in Saanich. Includes 3.5 m of textual material consisting of files of historical, biographical and architectural information collected on each property.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
No further accruals are expected.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
File list available.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Accession number: 1989-033, 1990-001, 1992-016, 1994-001, 2006-015, 2006-023, 2007-066, 2007-198, 2011-063, 2014-019, 2010-020, 2016-037.