- 1960-1980 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
2029 photographs (including 86 digital photographs; 1637 col. slides)
Name of creator
The Planning Department was officially formed in 1958 with the hiring of the first planner, Mr. A.L. Parr, although planning decisions had been made since the earliest days of the municipality by other departments or committees attached to Council. An Assistant Planner, Thomas W. Loney was employed in November, 1959. By 1960 the department consisted of the aforementioned planners, a subdivision administrator, a draughtsman and a typist. In 1962 the department expanded due to theincrease in population from 1956-1962. With expansion and the demand for more schools, parks, public buildings and utilities, there was an increasing need for community planning.
Transferred from the Saanich Planning Department.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of photographs relating to land use, neighbourhoods, heritage and development in Saanich including: heritage buildings; commercial and municipal buildings; churches; schools; farm buildings; Dominion Astrophysical Observatory; Wilkinson Road Jail; and Dodd House.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Further accruals are expected.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Accession number: 1978-002, 1980-001, 1980-011, 1984-016, 1987-003, 1992-005, 1992-012, 1992-027, 2007-060, 2010-067, 2012-030, 2012-036, 2016-007, 2012-31, 2016-007, 2019-012.