- 1927-1952 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
6 cm textual records
Name of creator
The District of Saanich was incorporated on March 1, 1906. The first meeting of Saanich Council was held on Saturday March 10, 1906. Thomas Brydon served as the Municipality's first Reeve. In 1908, Saanich was divided into six (and later seven) administrative wards. Each ward had a representative on council, and the Reeve was elected at large. The ward system was abolished in 1949. Ward 6 seceded from the District of Saanich in 1950 to form the District of Central Saanich. The District of Saanich celebrated its centennial in 2006.
Transferred from the Saanich Clerk’s Office.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records relating to the secession of Ward 6 in the District of Saanich from 1927 to 1951, as well as the proposed secession of Gordon Head, Cadboro Bay and Shelbourne in 1950-51. Fonds includes correspondence, inventories of municipal property, assessments, advertisements, Saanich Relief Act of 1927, and the Act to Validate the Incorporation of the District of Saanich in 1951.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
No further accruals are expected.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No restrictions on access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Accession number: 2007-032
Name access points
- Ward 6 Ratepayers’ Association (Subject)