Fonds PR-155 - Thomas and Maude Hall fonds

Maude Hall holding puppy, Loenholm garden Maude Hall with a dog, Loenholm Road, 1930 Maude Hall and Betty Stone, Foul Bay, 1930 Maude Hall, Empress Hotel rose garden Maude Hall, Empress Hotel rose garden Ted Stone Betty Stone Ted Stone playing with a dog Maude Hall Maude Hall, Royal Bay, 1932
Results 1 to 10 of 403 Show all

Identity area

Reference code



Thomas and Maude Hall fonds


  • 1906-2006 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

9.5 cm of textual records, 461 photographs, 3 books

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Thomas William Hall and Maude Hall (nee Edmundson) were born in West Hartlepool, County Durham, England in 1883 and 1882, respectively. They received their teaching certificates in England. Thomas Hall immigrated to Canada in 1911 with Maude following in 1912. They were married on November 9, 1912 in St. Mary’s Church in Vancouver. The Halls moved to Prince Rupert before settling on Vancouver Island in 1913. Their first home in Saanich was “Queen’s Grove” at 144 Loenholm Road. Thomas Hall served overseas during WWI with the 103rd Battalion “The Timberwolves” and was injured in Flanders. Upon his return to Canada, Thomas Hall became the Principal of George Jay School and was later the Saanich Inspector of Schools. Maude Hall was active in both the I.O.D.E and the Red Cross. In the 1930s, the Halls purchased land at 1248 Burnside Road West and built Stranton Lodge, designed by local architect Hubert Savage. They developed a showpiece garden in the wooded 8.07 acres with the assistance of local nurseryman and designer Arthur Lahmer. Thomas Hall died in 1961. Maude Hall continued to live at Stranton Lodge until 1973 when she sold the property to the Municipality of Saanich. Maude Hall died in 1985 at the age of 103 at the James Bay Lodge nursing home in Victoria. The Stranton Lodge property was added to the 10-acre Knockan Hill Park. In 1992, the building and grounds were given heritage designation. The home and gardens are managed by the Saanich Heritage Foundation in cooperation with the Friends of Knockan Hill Park Society.


Archival history

Donated in multiple accessions by the Friends of Knockan Hill Park and by Nora Stephenson, niece of Maude Hall.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Fonds consists of correspondence, ephemera, reports and other textual records, publications and photographs relating to Thomas and Maude Hall, Stranton Lodge, Knockan Hill Park, and The Friends of Knockan Hill Park Society. The fonds is arranged into 8 series: Correspondence, Ephemera, Reports, Restoration File, Volunteer File, Saanich Heritage Foundation File, Publications, and Photographs. Fonds also includes a leather briefcase, a reproduction photo album, and a fabric sample.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


No further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

No restrictions on access.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Finding aid available.

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area


Accession number: 1990-002, 1992-014, 2007-196, 2007-197, 2009-053

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion




Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places