Fonds PR-108 - CCF Club of Saanich Local No.1 fonds

Saanich CCF Annual Picnic at Elk Lake Bill Scott, the "Lighthouse Philosopher", at Speakers Corner in Beacon Hill Park Saanich CCF Ladies Committee at Douglas Hall Camp Woodsworth, CCF Summer Camp, Gabriola Island Camp Woodsworth, CCF Summer Camp, Gabriola Island Tommy Douglas speaking at New Party banquet held at the Empress Hotel Discussion group, CCF Summer Camp, Camp Woodsworth, Gabriola Island Douglas CCF Hall Douglas CCF Hall W. Wood, J.M. Thomas, N.P. Finnemore and M.J. Coldwell at Douglas CCF Hall
Results 1 to 10 of 14 Show all

Identity area

Reference code

PR-108

Title

CCF Club of Saanich Local No.1 fonds

Date(s)

  • 1920-1988 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

10.5 cm textual records and other material

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) was formed in Calgary in 1932 as a political coalition with the goal of economic reforms to improve conditions resulting from the Great Depression. It soon became well established, and CCF clubs were formed across the country including a number in Saanich. The first meeting of Local No. 1 CCF Club in Saanich was held on September 13, 1933 at 3234 Albina Street with Mr. Williamson as Chairman. Meetings were held in members’ homes and occasionally at St. Mark’s hall until the construction of the Douglas CCF Hall (located at 3368 Douglas Street) in 1944. The club registered under the Societies Act in 1950. In 1952 CCF member Frank Snowsell was elected MLA for the constituency of Saanich in the British Columbia general election, a position he held for one year. In 1961 the CCF entered into a formal alliance with the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) to create the New Democratic Party. Following this change, the Douglas CCF Hall Society was renamed the Douglas NDP Hall Society.

Repository

Archival history

Transferred from the Saanich Administration Department in 2003

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records originating from the CCF Hall on Douglas Street and relating to the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (local, provincial, and federal groups) and to its successive form, the New Democratic Party (NDP). The fonds includes club constitution and by-laws, minutes, legal documents, financial records, correspondence, maps of polling areas, local charter certificates, event posters, news clippings and a scrapbook, organizational publications, photographs and sound & video recordings. The fonds is arranged into 12 series: Constitution & By-laws, Minutes, Legal Documents, Financial Records, Correspondence, Polling Areas, Certificates, Ephemera, News Clippings, Publications, Photographs, and Sound & Video Recordings.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

No restrictions on access.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Series descriptions available.

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Note

Accession number: 2010-023

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Archivist's note

Previous number: 91-5664

Accession area